Zoodles for a Traditional Pasta Lover
So, I have a confession. While I know what I SHOULD be eating, I’m horrible at actually maintaining a nutritious, healthy diet. Even worse? I’m a diabetic who would make pasta its own food group if possible. I’ve tried all the new veggie noodle options out there and it’s been a fiasco. It’s not that I don’t like vegetables, it’s by the time I can no longer tell what I’m eating isn’t yummy, carbohydrate filled pasta, the meal has lost any nutritional value it gained by cutting out the noodles. Oops?! Luckily for me, my much more health minded friends have made it their personal mission to find a vegetable noodle recipe that is both healthy and something picky ol’ me will eat. Low and behold it does exist! For those like me (or those trying to get their kids to eat vegetables), this is a perfect recipe to get your feet wet.
Trust me- this yummy dish will become one of your go-to favorites. Added bonus: It’s vegetarian!
Zoodles with Lentil Marinara
- 2-3 large zucchini, spiralized or a package of store bought pre-made zoodles
- ½ cup dried lentils, rinsed, sorted, and then cooked according to package
For the Sauce:
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 7 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Cook lentils according to package directions,.
- While lentils cook, add all ingredients for sauce into a food processor, blending on high for 25-30 seconds. A thick sauce should form
- Add the sauce to a small pan and cook over medium heat to bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and stir into the marinara sauce and simmer another 1-2 minutes.
- Once lentils are nearly cooked and sauce is heated through, add spiralized zucchini to a medium saucepan and cook over low-medium heat for 2 minutes or until zucchini is soft with a pasta-like texture. Do not over cook!
- Divide zucchini spaghetti between two dishes, top with lentil marinara, and serve immediately.
NOTE: The key to good zoodles is to not over cook and to serve immediately!
Trackback from your site.